Jenn's Blog

Memories of my tours and vacations, photos of places I've been...and other things that interest me...

Monday, October 18, 2004

Taos, New Mexico

On a recent trip to visit my sister and brother-in-law, I took an extended journey to New Mexico! It was absolutely gorgeous!! Being an artist hangout, there were art studios and many little shops to visit.

While I was there, I stayed in a bed & breakfast to die for! I wished that I could have spent more time there...hmm...maybe I'll go back! LOL!! Alma del Monte was located near the base of the mountains and had spectacular views from every window. The owners were so nice and I even got to meet "Max" the resident doggie! What a cutie!

OK, enough about the place I stayed. There was a huge forest fire which apparently had been started by a bolt of lightning a few days before I arrived. I could see it and smell it from my room. When you went into town, some of the roads leading to the mountains were closed off and there were helicopters carrying large buckets of water back and forth. I believe it was difficult to put out because it had started on sacred Indian territory so they were unable to "put it out" but had to contain it instead.

Despite the smokey air and incredible arid heat, I loved Taos! One of my stops was along the suspension bridge just outside of town. I am not a fan of heights but I swallowed my fear and went out on it...naturally, my luck--two HUGE tractor trailers came hauling across it and I thought I was going to die! LOL!! The bridge shook and rumbled but I stayed on long enough to get a "gorge"ous shot of the Rio Grande River below...


A View from the Rio Grande Suspension Bridge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home