Jenn's Blog

Memories of my tours and vacations, photos of places I've been...and other things that interest me...

Monday, October 18, 2004

NYC, NY

This photo was taken six months after 9/11...as a memorial, the twin beams of light shine up into the heavens on special occasions now. It's one thing to see the photo but it's another to see it in person. The skyline looks amazing but, it's still strange looking across the river and not seeing those two beautiful buildings.


NYC Skyline

What would my blog be without a post about a famous city that is so close to my home? New York City is a blog in itself. I've been here on tours and I've been on vacation there as well :) Being a musician, NYC has so much to offer! I've visited clubs where some of my friends have been featured in Cabarets, gone to concerts at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc...oh and then there's my favorite: BROADWAY!

I sang at Carnegie Hall in the premiere of Electra the opera by Mikis Theodorakis (the composer of the music from "Zorba the Greek"). I even got to meet him :) He was very sweet and told me I was pretty (blush-blush).

While I was in college, I took full advantage of the "student price" ticket and went to see the NYC ballet's version of The Nutcracker, NYC Opera's LaBoheme and Madame Butterfly and priceless concerts at the Philharmonic. I was so excited to hear "Carmina Burana" by Orff and "Magnificat" by Rutter at Carnegie Hall. They are two of my most favorite pieces of music :) I didn't know it when I bought the ticket, but when I got there, I realized that "Magnificat" was conducted by John Rutter himself!! Through my years at college, I sang so many pieces of his music and here, I got to see him in person! That for me was one of the most memorable concerts I had been to. Now that I'm out of college, I don't like that I have to pay full price tickets! LOL! But I'm glad I had the opportunity to see and hear all that beautiful music and dance for a little over $20!

Now...I rarely turn down a ticket to see anything at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, etc...I would never turn down an opportunity to see a Broadway musical! I just adore going to the city to see them :)
To date, I have seen:
  • Les Miserables (lost count how many times)
  • Phantom of the Opera (just as many times)
  • Miss Saigon
  • Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Jane Eyre (original cast)
  • Ragtime
  • Nunsense
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Blast!
  • Blast II: Shockwave
  • Thoroughly Modern Millie
  • Man of LaMancha (original cast)
  • Kiss Me, Kate (original cast)
  • Titanic (original cast)
  • Into the Woods
  • Honk! the Ugly Duckling (off-broadway)
  • Crazy for You
  • Company
  • Noises Off! (not a musical but it was on Broadway!)

    That's all that is coming to mind right now. I know there's more somewhere in there... I love broadway so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home